It’s been a while since I’ve posted, lots of life things happening and blog stuff came out second.
I have been crafting as often as I can and along the way have taken some photographic evidence to show you even though I hadn’t blogged about it. This post will show you a cake topper I made for the same little guy who was gifted with the Elephant quilt. He turned one late in May so this was made around then.
The inspiration cowboy caketopper is from the etsy user CarlyAce
I made a practice cowboy first as I was unsure I would be able to make one and didn’t want to disappoint. I realised after making the demo that using solid polymer clay at the size I was trying to make the cowboy would be quite heavy and maybe not safe for any kind of squishy or non-dense cake.
I had purchased one of these single convection oven appliances to use specifically for baking clay, here is the first little guy, going through the motions. When I got approval from the mumma that the cake topper would be okay, I started to remake him. This time I used foil inside the head and torso to minimise the weight overall. I did keep the little toy horse though and re-used him in the final version.
I found overall that using the foil was good but made it much more difficult to minimise lumps and bumps in the head and figurine, and this was quite evident in the smoother sections like his face.
When making the torso I just shaped the torso and then rolled out flat pieces of blue clay and cut it into a shirt shape that would wrap around the torso, the same technique works for pants. For his bandanna I cut out a triangle of ‘fabric’ and used a paper punch to cut the star shapes that I attached to the bandanna.
I used the edge of my razor saw to make the stitch lines in the shirt pockets, in the practice version I just used the edge of a blade. The buttons here are tiny brads I bought at some stage thinking they would make good doll clothing buttons as it is sometimes quite difficult to find tiny buttons, I just cut the back of the brads shorter with a wire cutter and stuck them into the shirt before baking.
I used the little succulents I had made previously as well as the miniature crates and painted a piece of cardboard for a base. The string around the base is from Tim Holtz ideology trims pack and I used alphabet beads and spacer beads from my stash and hot glued them to the base. Oh, and I made a little bale of hay by wrapping some raffia around a balsa block and then wrapping that with fine gauge wire.
and there he is…
one baby cowboy cake topper