Rightio… Happy New Year folks. It’s week 3, how is 2016 going for you?
We are having a very hot summer here in Adelaide, the hottest in a while, so I have been spending a bit of time in the pool and a lot of time in the air conditioning and not too much time, wondering around outside. I am still playing with my drawing and doodling, and am now the proud owner of a stash of copic, mepxy and ironlak alcohol markers, which I am learning to put to good use. Oh… and there was a painting class in there somewhere.
I am still on uni holidays and have been busily doing things and not blogging about them. I’m not so sure everything is blog worthy, but every now and again, I do tend to dribble a bit. I have done some recent stitching I thought I would share. My little nephew Connor was born in May last year, and around that time I joked that he would not get a quilt till he turned 21 (with me being quite the procrastinator when it comes to most projects).
I am pretty close to finishing the binding and think it’s quite likely the little guy will get the quilt before he turns 1, so here we go.
I have a list of items on my to do list (some of which have been partially removed due to stagnating or removed blogs) from Moda Bake Shop, and always think it is worth having a gander there. So many pretty fabrics and pretty projects, will just get you pinning, procrastinating or day dreaming your heart out. This time it actually got me sewing. I was torn between the idea of having connor appliqued on the quilt in big fat boy letters and this cute pattern – Jungle Path Baby Quilt. I had safely stashed fabric for this project soon after Connor was born and his mummy informed me he would have an elephant nursery. Thanks to Jessica Kelly for the pattern and inspiration here is what I did with it.
I used some basic fabrics that coordinated with a feature print and all over leaf pattern in the Elephant Splash fabric range by Robert Kaufman fabrics. They have a boy/neutral colour way and a girly colourway. I decided to fussy cut elephants for each of my blocks.
My solid colour is from homespun and was one of the fabrics I purchased that looked ‘linen’ coloured to me, I think this one might be called sandstone. (or something like that). It was easy to chain piece the blocks and I was quite happy that my initial balk at 1.5inch strips didn’t seem to be that daunting after all.
I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I can be a little ocd so I had to arrange said elephants to ensure that there would not be an imbalance of the little animals facing one way or the other. I didn’t fret about it, but it was considered. Oh… so the quilt pattern has 4 rows of 4 blocks, I have 3 rows of 4 and 1 block. Why? Well I still hadn’t given up on my appliqued boy letters idea.
The other coordinating prints – orange polkadots, stripes and chevrons are from a basic elements fabric range from spotlight stores and worked quite well with the feature fabric. At this point I thought I had way too little of the orange, so will be binding the quilt in the orange polka dot fabric.
Because all of the blocks had sashing I had decided I would use a quilt as you go technique, but before I realised I was halfway through piecing the entire top so no quilt as you go this time! It all worked out okay anyway yay!
I used the standard font cooper black and squished it slightly in my space. I realised that I had mis-calculated the size of the panel for the applique and had to add another strip to the right side in addition to the sashing. I decided to add a simple stitchery with Connor’s full name to this little strip which further personalised the quilt and stopped me from having to start all over or stopping for months (or years) before getting back to the finishing.
I quilted in between the blocks using a stitch identified as one that is supposed to look like hand quilting in a contrasting thread and then stitched around each elephant and spiraled out from the centre of each block in a coordinating thread. The backing of the quilt is the elephant feature fabric. Here is the latest pic taken just before I was ready to add the binding.
I am looking forward to delivering this to the little guy and adding a couple of elephant softies in matching fabrics to the gift. I hope he has lots of fun on it. I quite enjoyed sewing it.
Wherever you are!