I wasn’t exactly desperate for another fair, but a year is a long time to wait before going totally mental about shopping and sewing and quilting for a couple of days. As far as I was aware the only fair we had for us craftily inclined is the Annual Adelaide Craft and Quilt Fair, usually held in November.  This weekend there was another one, nicely timed in the middle of the year so that we don’t have to go too long for our fix.  There were a reasonable number of stands and exhibitors and a lot of interestings workshops.  I have officially had to start a new box to store trims (I already have two sewing boxes full of them – my partner refers to those as my toolbox of girlie stuff).  So far the new additions are in a parcel box that I received Mona’s new wig in, that’ll do for now.

I bought some lovely fabric too and some beading accessories.  I must admit to not really having quilting in mind when I purchased the fabrics, but because I have been very doll focussed the last few weeks I purchased some tiny prints with dolly clothes in mind.

I woke up this morning possessed about finally making some seating for my girls.  I did a long time ago have a grand plan to make my Pullip Lucrezia a chesterfield armchair but I never went ahead with it.  I read a few tutorials on DoA (Den of Angels for the unitiated) and had seen several in the miniature community prior.  To me the one that stood out as ‘something to aim for’ was definitely Kris’s – I have even mentioned it in a blog post previously. Kris’s tutorial was in 1inch scale but all my dolls (other than Qberry, who has her own dollhouse, so really can’t complain about not having a chair) are in 1:6 scale.  So I followed along with her tutorial using a squared off design inspired by The Collins Collection from Restoration Hardware which has just reminded me I totally forgot about adding the feet to the sofa/couch…. doh!

Collins Collection Seating by Restoration Hardware

Collins Collection Seating by Restoration Hardware

and OMG!! you have to check out the aviator and deconstructed lines of furniture, I so have to make some of them!! – Will have to revisit that still incompleted Steampunk Room. Restoration hardware kindly has every measurement you will ever need to convert a real life 6ft sofa into 1:6 scale.  (but if you want the details I will give it you)

I am a metric girl though, so prepare to be annoyed if you are not 😀

Couch Measurements (for a Collins Collection 6ft normal depth 2 seater)
Width = 72inches =180cm  So in 1:6 Scale = 30cm (divide by 6- funnily enough)
Height (floor to top of back cushion) = 32inches = 80cm 1:6 = 13.3cm
Height (Floor to top of  frame) = 30inches = 75cm 1:6=12.5cm
Height (Floor to top of arm) = 30 inches = 75cm 1:6=12.5cm
Height (Floor to Bottom of Sitting Cushion) = 12inches = 30cm 1:6=5cm
Width of Arm = 7inches = 17.5cm 1:6= 3cm (well 2.91 blah blah… I called it 3)
Height of feet = 2inches = 5cm 1:6=8mm

I used a box that used to house a pile of cable internet modems – courtesy of my partner – I think another couch can be made from the box remnants.  The box was maybe twice the size of an archival box.  It was quite thick corrugated cardboard, but I just cut it to size with scissors and hot glued it together.  (Kris does not use hot glue, but I was getting frustrated waiting for things to dry, so went with a few burnt fingertip injuries and less time to wait instead)

Very Bad Photo of Phase 1 of Building the Sofa from Cardboard

Very Bad Photo of Phase 1 of Building the Sofa from Cardboard

I just used any cardboard I could find for the thinner parts (front and back shape and other bases required).

Here it is further along in construction

Here it is further along in construction

The big furry monster behind the couch is Arya our kitty cat.  Who was at that point quite annoyed that the box she was having a great time playing in had been folded flat. Below the couch are some remnant decorator fabrics I bought a while back from my local craft store.  I chose the thinnest of the three on hand – all some variation of beige/cream/lineny colour. My camera battery ran out of charge (in fact the above was taken with my phone) and I put it on charge, took this photo and then got totally carried away and didn’t take any photos until I was finished.

Which is also good for you cos that means I don’t have much left to say 😀

My first attempt at making a 1:6 Scale Sofa

My first attempt at making a 1:6 Scale Sofa

Models are (L-R) Mona – my iMda 3.0 Babette, QBerry- my Dream High Studio QBaby, and Kaylee my Souldoll Sweet Lappy Angel.

Mona is wearing a partially completed outfit that I am working on at the moment, will probably post about that at some point…  The sofa itself fits them well I think, it still needs scatter cushions as it’s a bit too deep for the girls to just sit up properly (I currently have rolled up fat quarters behind them to minimise lower back pain). And I mentioned above somewhere I totally forgot about the feet.

Still I am totally happy with my first attempt and the girls seem to be fine with it too!

Good Night Wherever you are!