Realising that my blog should come with a warning (and I will be expanding on this, I have decided to put up some permanent signage). If you are not from Australia, these signs are of constant amusement to tourists in fact you can buy them as fridge magnets, tea towels, oven mitts, mouse mats almost anything in souvenir shops and even places locals shop.
My personal favourite is the little wombat. Actually, not so little and if you make them angry you had better watch out. I think they are cute anyhow. So there are similar signs that people stick in their car windows. I think it’s supposed to help us drive better when we realise that there is a little person in their car. It’s supposed to be a warning to hooligans.
So you get the idea right, it’s shaped like a road sign, and it warns people.
I thought I needn’t go all scary with the yellow and black, it’s only a blog right? but I do think you need to be warned so here is mine…
I will be adding a page, explaining and warning others not to do the dummy quilting things I do!
So I don’t (well I have once or twice, but I didn’t last night) do Friday night sew ins, because unlike most of you, I need to be in bed and sleeping by some early hour I won’t mention, because I am embarrassed about having no energy to even sew. I did get some stitching done today though.
First up, I would like to show you (well I actually did do this on Friday night … part of it anyway) my very first hexagon flower! I know, I know… not another person doing hexies! Well I wanted to try and when I read about using the new Sewline Glue Pen (in Vignette Issue 2) instead of tacking, I grabbed my Sewline pen and my Hexagon pieces and gave it a go. My first attempt
failed didn’t succeed as well as I would have liked. I had some directional pieces as the petal hexagons and when I was done sewing, they made no sense, so I unpicked 3 of them last night and restitched them, so they do make sense.
This morning I followed the well written instructions in the Endless Summer pattern and completed sewing block 1 (or star 1).
I continued chain piecing the rest , I just did the first one step by step to make sure I got it. Later in the day I felt like I needed a break and heard my brother and his wife talk about going to a national park close by, so I chucked some stitching into a bag and headed off with them to the national park. My parents and the family puppy Peppa joined us. I stitched a bit lying on the grass, it was a really nice Autumn day, not to hot and perfect in the shade. Wouldn’t you like to be sitting on the grass stitching, right here?
In addition there was my favourite person in the whole world.
I know one pic of her, is just not enough, so here are two more.
And did I mention the family puppy?! Peppa is an English Staffordshire Terrier and is about 3 years old ( I think). My parents adopted her from a breeder, she was a breeding mummy, but had problems after her first litter. My parents got her soon after their last dog passed away. Sindy was the first Staffie we had had and after her, can’t even think about other breeds. They are both the kindest gentlest doggies ever. Peppa is a bit easier to photograph, Sindy was petrified of cameras, so it’s fun to be able to take nice photos of Peppa. She is very attached to my dad so didn’t hang out with me for too long but I snapped this while she was sitting with me.
She looks like she could be mean, but she is the biggest softie you could meet.
That was the break I needed from my machine and when I got back home I went straight back to getting Endless Summer sorted out. Whilst ironing the blocks after completion, I noticed one error and then went on with my life… only to pick it up again and consider unpicking it and re-stitching the block. I ironed a couple more blocks and decided that because I had the patience and wasn’t feeling too uptight about my mistake I would re-stitch it.
So I took it apart and then started to re-position only to realise that the block I had just unpicked, was in actual fact not wrong but right… I had picked up the wrong block to unpick. (Hence my dummy quilter on blog warning sign) So I unpicked the right wrong block (I had to write that sorry :P) and stitched them both back together (correctly)
I finished all the nine star blocks, and have now started to add the sashing, but because the Dummy Quilter on Blog idea was going around in my head, I had to play on the puter a bit first. Here are the blocks, in pattern order sans sashing. I think I should finish the top tomorrow, which gives me just over a week to quilt it for the parade. The last 2 months I just sent pics of the top, but I would like to have this quilted before I send my photo to Sherri and Sinta.
So an awesome Saturday stitching and playing. Hope yours was awesome too!