So… with a scant 8 days to spare (get it scant… oh hilarious Q :D) I have finished my Mon Ami Quilt Top!

Actually I found out that my seams are probably not not that scant, but more about that later!

I finished the 25 main blocks for my quilt on Friday (21 Jan) and excitedly started laying them out to see what they would look like together. Then I noticed the 1st error, and then the second and then… Well I found 7 blocks that I had made mistakes on. Of the 7 though, 5 of the mistakes were exactly the same, so their must have been some flaw in my piecing production line!

In the pic below you can see 4 of the errors are the same.  One block was totally wonky, I must have been half asleep piecing that one!

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Starting Layout but Spotting Errors

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Starting Layout but Spotting Errors

So just for some added hilarity… I decided to hand stitch the fixing so sat on my bed watching telly and patiently unpicked the errors and started fixing them.  I am busy fixing the first block looking at another for reference, and well… I only took the blocks with the errors into my room to work on and left the correct ones in my study/sewing room. So I fixed my block with another error!

Aaargh!! LOL.  What a moron.  After that I did ok I think.

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Final Layout after Fixing Errors (the ones I noticed!)

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Final Layout after Fixing Errors (the ones I noticed!)

Anyhoo, then I had all my blocks layed out in the order I thought would work well, by row 2 I had a made a mistake there too (woo hoo!) You see how the background fabric and the contrast fabric (the one that isn’t the star) flip from a vertical to horizontal position in the layout- I sewed the second row incorrectly so I had to move that row somewhere else. I didn’t panic too much about that one, no unpicking required!

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Stitched after Fixing Errors (the ones I noticed!)

Mon Ami Schnibbles Core Blocks Stitched after Fixing Errors (the ones I noticed!)

Anyway so here are the 25 core blocks after I stitched them together. Now smarties would see an error, but I didn’t I was too excited or something..

This centre square was supposed to end up measuring 23inches by 23inches, mine was 22.5 by 22.5 so my seams were less scant than required, but hey it was a square, which is better than I have done in previous projects!

After piecing the blocks, piecing the pieced border was a breeze but yes… you guessed it I made a mistake there too! One of my half square triangles had the wrong side of the fabric facing, so it’s slightly duller than it should be.  And if you didnt’ spot the error, but now you have to know what it is, in the middle row in the pic below, the block to the right of the middle block is wrong 🙁

Here is my quilt top. I initially cut out outer borders that are the same as the background fabric, but am considering changing that so have not done the outer border just yet.

Mon Ami Schnibbles Quilt Top using Plume Charm Packs by Tula Pink for Moda

Mon Ami Schnibbles Quilt Top using Plume Charm Packs by Tula Pink for Moda