I made my niece another little softie, this time a bird from an American Quilting magazine (which I don’t have on me now, so I can’t credit properly.- will edit this later). But I also saw a free pattern on the connecting threads web site, that looks very similar to the pattern I made so if you want to have a try go over there and get the free one, then let me know if it looks the same 🙂 I was however super disappointed to find that they do not ship to Australia, as I would probably go a bit crazy especially on the sales!!
Here is the free pattern it’s for a partridge and a pear!
Here is another Photo, just in case the first one wasn’t feathery enough for you!
And the coasters? They are another story. I made ( a while back) a ribbon block for my niece, they are supposed to be a big hit with babies, especially when they start working on their thumb and forefinger pinching. I got the pattern and idea from one of my most favourite sewing/quilting sites The Moda Bakeshop. The site is filled with eye candy from both a fabric and a project perspective and I currently have five projects on my to do list that come from there.
The pattern and tutorial (referred to as a recipe at the Bakeshop) can be found here and this is what it looks like with pretty moda fabrics.
I made the block, but not the blankie, and my niece did enjoy playing with it and grabbing at the ribbons. My sewing can be quite untidy, so mine was less square than the pretty product here and I think I used a little too much stuffing in it as well. But she liked it anyway.
So I had this brilliant (crazy?!) idea that I would make her a block for each letter of the alphabet and for each number. That would mean 26 letters + 9 numbers multiplied by 6 sides for each cube which makes…. (26+9)*6=210 blocks, simple right? Well… maybe for an accomplished sewer, but for this Auntie, it wasn’t to be. Halfway through cutting and quilting 5 inch square sides of cubes, I had another brilliant idea *scoffs* that maybe I would just make one side of the cube and have an appliqued letter or number on one side and a stitchery on the other. Effectively coasters. I thought this was my brilliant idea, but since then I have seen it on (drum roll please) Moda Bakeshop so, probably what happened was I might have glanced at it, then it implanted itself into my brain as ‘my’ idea at some later point. Here is the pattern for them on Moda Bakeshop. Much neater than mine.
Here are mine:
I knew that I had to make a choice between getting this done before my niece already knew her entire alphabet and getting it done neatly and nicely… I chose the former.
I hand appliqued the letters to the squares using double threaded cotton (not embroidery cotton) They each have a single square of batting in between the sides. I used raw edge applique and vliesofix to attach the letters.
I used a diagonal stitch on the binding and to stitch the stitchery square to the coaster. By the time I was done I hated binding. I found it easiest to tack the binding to the square and then go over it with the diagonal stitching and then un-pick the tacking after.
As you can tell I did not use interfacing behind the stitcheries so you can see through them 🙁 I didn’t know about that until after, but I know now, so future stitcheries will be safe from loud patterned fabrics. I chose to stitch an upper case letter and a lower case letter in each corner, the word in upper case and lower case above and below the picture kind of centred. I hand drew all the pictures with a marker that fades with air and then stitched over my drawing. My niece recognises some of the them so I think I did ok.
Sorry about this fuzzy pic, the stitchery side was even worse, so I am not uploading that one. For the numbers I stitched large novelty heart shaped buttons to the other side so 4 has 4 buttons, 5 has 5 buttons etc.
So far my niece knows all her numbers and A to H on sight so I think I got them done in time. I can’t help that she is such a smarty pants, learning all that at 17 months!